The collective groan of Tron fans seemed to drown out satisfied observers of the ‘secret announcement’ late last night from Justin Sun and the Tron team. Observers were expecting the ‘secret’ portion of the announcement to pack a bit more punch than it did and found themselves discouraged and took to social media to either console themselves or complain about what they didn’t hear.
But there was a significant amount of ‘protein’ to the announcement that didn’t need to rise to the level of it being ‘secret’ in any way – and that may have been missed by the masses. Take a quick look at some highlights from the feed itself:
- TRON Virtual Machine (TVM): TVM is a lightweight, Turing complete virtual machine devised for the development of TRON’s ecosystem. TVM aims at providing millions of global developers with a custom-built system for blockchain that is efficient, developer-friendly, stable, secure and easy to optimize.
- TRON mainnet has been running smoothly. As of 10:00 on July 30th, 2018, SGT, the block height reached 1,005,756, the peak number of single day transaction marked 49,518, global nodes reached 362 and the total number of account address was 74,112.
- More than 40 mainstream exchanges including Binance, Bittrex, Bitfinex, Upbit, Huobi and OKEx have completed the token migration from ERC20 token to TRON’s mainnet TRX without any financial loss of the user.
- There are a total of 92,424,664,154.355837 ERC20 Tokens burnt, accounting for 92.42% of the total issued. Before the migration is completed, the remaining ERC20 tokens will remain valid for exchange at Binance and Gate.io.
- The TRON network will serve as the underlying protocol of Project Atlas. Hundreds of millions of BT users across the globe will become part of the TRON ecosystem. BT will be the largest application on the TRON network, which will allow TRON to surpass Ethereum on daily transactions and become the most influential public blockchain in the world.
- Lucien, CTO or Tron, stated: the launch of TVM is a historic moment for TRON, a new chapter of TRON’s DApp ecosystem. TVM is compatible with EVM, and allows DApp developers on EVM to migrate to TVM, almost for free.
So, in spite of crypto twitter’s dissatisfaction with the ‘secret’ announcement, it seems that there is an incredible amount of ‘next-gen’ value in the announcement itself and work being done by Tron. While the TVM (Tron Virtual Machine) was previously known, the scope and scale of its use and capabilities were not. That alone is of incredible importance.
Mainnet, exchanges, ERC20 burns, lack of disruption to $TRX, Project Atlas, BitTorrent integration, the Tron Dapp system and its compatibility with other networks. All of which tells a larger story that Justin Sun isn’t lacking in ideas, execution, and a vision for what ‘Internet 3.0’ could and should be.
If that doesn’t fire you up, then maybe wait until the next announcement. ;)